Montgomery Ward - Won't honor warranty

63 of 76 Montgomery Ward reviews

I bought a Powr Kraft Professional socket set from Montgomery Ward many years ago (1970s?). It has a written lifetime guarantee (see bottom right of attached photo from inside cover of the set) stating "If any Powr Kraft tool fails to give complete satisfaction, return to any Mongomery Ward branch for free replacement". The driver head on the socket has internally jammed, making it unusable. I called Montgomery Ward customer service on September 25, 2014, and spoke with a customer service representative named Becky. After she checked with her supervisor, I was told that the current owners of the company bought the mail order business only, and do not honor previous warranties. They offered no remedy or compensation. A lifetime warranty...?

There is an interesting history of Montgomery Ward at:

Looks like the company went through hard times, including bankruptcy in 1997, and the Montgomery Ward name has been sold several times, including to DMSI in 2009. According to the article, "The DMSI version of Montgomery Ward was not the same company as the original. The company did not honor obligations of the previous company, such as gift-cards and items sold with a lifetime guarantee." DMSI was the owner previous to the current owner, so perhaps I really can't blame the current owner too much...

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
warranty not honored
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Powr Kraft Tool
Review category
Shopping
review #538537

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Montgomery Ward? Submit review ›
Helpful? 4 Yes 4 0 No 0
Had the same issue 4 Yes 4
63 of 76 Montgomery Ward reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 10 #1239096 Waco, Texas, United States

I had a mechanics set of power craft tools and i found out that the lifetime warranty wont be honored. I worked for Wards when I purchased the set. In the 80 when I joined the navy I took my tools to Ward and they replaced it, now I have tools that wont be replaced. I feel that if Wards is still around they should honor the warranty.

0 0 Reply

Apr 19 #1146788

I believe that Montgomery Wards, is and has long been out of business.....good luck.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Montgomery Ward. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Montgomery Ward.
Filing a new complaint about
×