2.2K views
2.5

I bought a Powr Kraft Professional socket set from Montgomery Ward many years ago (1970s?). It has a written lifetime guarantee (see bottom right of attached photo from inside cover of the set) stating "If any Powr Kraft tool fails to give complete satisfaction, return to any Mongomery Ward branch for free replacement". The driver head on the socket has internally jammed, making it unusable. I called Montgomery Ward customer service on September 25, 2014, and spoke with a customer service representative named Becky. After she checked with her supervisor, I was told that the current owners of the company bought the mail order business only, and do not honor previous warranties. They offered no remedy or compensation. A lifetime warranty...?

There is an interesting history of Montgomery Ward at:

Looks like the company went through hard times, including bankruptcy in 1997, and the Montgomery Ward name has been sold several times, including to DMSI in 2009. According to the article, "The DMSI version of Montgomery Ward was not the same company as the original. The company did not honor obligations of the previous company, such as gift-cards and items sold with a lifetime guarantee." DMSI was the owner previous to the current owner, so perhaps I really can't blame the current owner too much...

Reason of review: warranty not honored.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Sep 25, 2014.

Comments

I also have several powercraft sockets that are broken. They served me well for fifty years.

My feeling is I got my monies worth....

Was sad to see what happened to Montgomery Wards and now Sears. It's our own fault - buying off the Internet.

I have the same tool problem with a rachet wrench that I purchased in 1967. Tried to return it to Sears who stated they never heard of Powr Kraft.

After 51 years of use I guess I shouldn't complain. But I will replace at Harbor Freight.

The same thing will happen with Craftsman tools when Sears folds later this year. Unless Stanley Black and Decker decides to honor the lifetime warranty.

Sorry you waited so long to get your tool replaced after the company went belly up. This null and voids all lifetime warranties.

Try a hit on this bong to mellow out and maybe you'll understand the meaning of We No Longer Exsist No more.

Monkey Ward

Waco, Texas, United States #1239096

I had a mechanics set of power craft tools and i found out that the lifetime warranty wont be honored. I worked for Wards when I purchased the set.

In the 80 when I joined the navy I took my tools to Ward and they replaced it, now I have tools that wont be replaced. I feel that if Wards is still around they should honor the warranty.

to Anonymous #1428700

The current Wards is in name only with no obligation to the original Montgomery Wards business.

I believe that Montgomery Wards, is and has long been out of business.....good luck.